Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Narrative

In week five we discussed the 'narrative' and why we use it.
My thoughts on the narrative within photography are that I create a story and portray this within my photographs- I have to do this because I can show the way that I personally see the world beneath me. 


I feel that the narrative is quite a personal thing because we see everything completely differently from each other- we have different views/culture and ideas. We create pieces that show how we view it from our own experiences. 


Narrative is a structure that helps classify content and form. It can also be used to construct story, prose, poetry, music and painting.


We tend to show the narrative with a beginning, middle and ending structure because it's in the structure of a story- just like in fiction/ non fiction books.


The photographer Weegee took various photos of crime scenes about New York, moving objects around to set up the composition and create a more satisfying aesthetic. This does make me think about whether the narrative can be portrayed as a true account or a perceived recollection. I found out about this here http://www.amber-online.com/exhibitions/weegee-collection/detail

The visual narrative is also transformed when using text just as Sophie Calle did. She manipulated her photos by adding words to the image, making the viewers wonder what reference the text has to the image and if it does at all.

Having text with an image can do one of two things- it could make relation to the image and repeat the story or, disfigure the observation of what the piece of work actually is.


But narrative construction can take form in many different ways- it doesn't have to be a set beginning, middle and end. If there are hints of content and form in an image, it can be considered to have a narrative.


I came across a book called Basics Creative Photography 02: Context and Narrative by Maria Short. This book clearly informs how photographers bring in the narrative and how they can make it relate to their work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment